Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Will You Be My Friend?

Popularity is the one insult I have never suffered.
Oscar Wilde

Jesus, talk about a flashback to kindergarten. I finally set up a MySpace page. Yes I know, true to form I am late to the party. Blame it on my old fuddy duddy roots.

And as with many ordinary social interactions, I don't really get the gist of MySpace (did I mention that I am an anti-social fuddy duddy?). It is like going to a foreign country and not knowing how to find the bathroom. I don't get the subtle language shifts or nods of the head. Did you just order me a crossant or tell me to go to hell?

From what I can tell, people leave these weird little messages for each other attached to huge tacky pictures without really saying anything. I guess it's like a text message, it is enough room to skim the surface but not much else. A handy tool for the gal on the go. I suppose it is a nice way to check in quickly with a lot of people, some of whom you know and some of whom you want to know. I dunno. Beats me.

When I was a girl, we had to memorize each others phone numbers, all 7 digits of them, if we wanted to talk to each other. Damn, life was different back then in the dark ages. The touch tone phone was a big deal, I even got one for Christmas.

During my brief moment of 8th grade popularity, I spent every evening talking to my friends in a strictly regimented order. I began with an hour on the phone with my best girlfriend Jen, then a toss up between less desirable friends such as Bernardo and Dan, then some brief calls with an assortment of people, then 2 hours with my boyfriend Colin and then a hunk of chat time with my bestest pal Zachary.

My ear ached by the end of the night. We were too young to drive to each other's houses and living in rural VT, we had no way to hang out with each other unless our parent's obliged us (rare). There was no internet, no cell phones, no nothing. The touch tone phone was my life line.

Now that I have exposed what a sorry old sack I am, wanna be my pal? Come on, please? With sugar on top? Jesus, aren't I too old for another popularity contest? Nope, turns out that life is chock full o'them! 'Till the day you die sucker!

Popularity comes from allowing yourself to be bored by people while pretending to enjoy it.

Karol Newlin

At rehearsal Sunday, we did an improv game involving status and hierarchy (which plays a big part in The Trojan Women). We were each secretly assigned a number and then we had to greet each other at a cocktail party and guess each other's numbers. We weren't allowed to say anything beyond our names but with body language alone, we were able to easily suss out who was who.

As a 7 (9 being the highest), I turned my nose up at people, shook their hands briefly and with authority, and then quickly moved on. The 1s and the 2s wouldn't even look you in the eye, so down and out were they.

In the play, I am a 3. My city is burnt to the ground, my husband and baby are dead and I am waiting for the Greeks to take me away to a new land to be a concubine. It is humbling to say the least.

Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. Immanuel Kant

Anyway, please be my friend on MySpace. It is a scary new world but I already found some old friends I haven't talked to in forever. It is a cool way to catch up and network and blah blah blah.

"Oh my, I'm sorry #2, I wasn't listening to you, I was too busy checking my MySpace, YouTube and Blogspot messages..."

7 comments:

S.R. Wild said...

Yes, myspace is elementary school... on valentine's day, where everyone makes a little mailbox and everyone must give a valentine to everyone in the class that has some meaningless phrase like "I chew chew choose you". Or it's a high school yearbook. Or maybe it's the wall in the bathroom of the internet. It's just weird.

Suzanne Lowell said...

i also had my nightly phone ritual. in fact, since my dad was often on call and the phone would be busy because of me, my parents got us girls our own phone line! i had one of those super cool swatch phones that actually had two receivers so that two people could talk on the phone at once (though only to the same person). i went through my list of people that i just had to talk to and then usually repeated with a couple people, just to recap the night and the gossip that i'd heard. there was one guy that didn't make it into anyone's "must talk to" and a couple of times he had the operator interrupt my conversations saying that someone else NEEDED to talk to me. I'm not kidding! for the first two times i thought it was an emergency and i'd get off and call him immediately, only to realize he was just tired of waiting for that damn busy signal to turn into a ring. ha! those were the days!

ps. i don't do myspace either, and i think friendster pales in comparison. oh well. i'm always behind the times too.

Suzanne Lowell said...

danielle is on myspace. you can link to her. (last name: poirier)

tinycat said...

Welcome to Myspace! I hate, hate, hate the tacky, annoying, blinking posts everyone feels compelled to put up.

Although I don't much like Friendster, I do like their "testimonial" section, as it gives insight into why certain people are fabulous (and why others are oh-so-lame). I propose we do this on Myspace. In fact, I'm going to write a testimonial for you, Miss Eva, right now. Umm, am I your Myspace friend yet?

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Haw haw, MySpace is the bathroom wall of the internet. Nice! Is it as crass I wonder??

And Suzanne, I love it that you had a nightly phone ritual as well. i guess that is just what we did before the internet. And I would like to point out that some dude in Lowell was the first person to decide we needed to have actual phone #s (follow the link in the post). Hmmmm!

And Lani, your MySpace testimonial (and yes but of course, we are friends! i dig your page) was amazing! You got sass in spades when it comes to weaving tall tales (and in other places too!).

I am so pleased to be included in one - me and my many disparate personalities. The details were just too perfect (she says as she burbs and cusses in her sleep)! Now I have to come up with a testimonial for you - but it is hard to top your cunning cowboy yarn!

PS I am glad I am not the only one who does not like the huge blinking comments - I also hate the huge blinking banner ad - wish it could be slightly less OBNOXIOUS!

Anonymous said...

I am conflicted about MySpace. I hate it for all of the reasons you've all outlined above, but I can't quite leave and never return, as I did with my High School and the city I lived in as a teen. I'd like to delete my profile and never have to see so much flashing fushcia again...but. I used to have friends, back in college, and even a few before that. And since I haven't gone home again, I've lost touch with just about everyone. Until MySpace. People I haven't talked to in 10-15 years have found me on MySpace and caught me up on their lives. Friends I always meant to write or call more, but never did have "friended" me on MySpace, and so now I don't feel as out of touch. It also relieves some of the guilt that I always carry around about that postcard I picked up for Margie eight years ago that's still in my closet because I was too busy, or too lazy, to put her address on it. OK, her name wasn't Margie, but you know what I mean. So for now, I'll keep my profile up there, in a modest blue, and hope that more people I used to know will drop by and tell me what they've been doing during the years since we last spoke.

One kind of creepy/fascinating thing about MySpace is the way it keeps the likenesses of people (and pets) who have died active online.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Yes, I am beginning to understand these lures of MySpace which you eloquently refer to. Being older, fewer of my friends are on there but still, how cool is it that I can reconnect with the guy I knew in college who taught me how to fry cheeseburgers and made me some of the most awesome mix tapes i have ever received? it is a pretty crazy way to find people but i am digging it.

now if only i could find my ad hoc hippy clique from that one year i spent in Indiana. or my pals from that one semester i lived in England? and what about my high school friends from rural VT? are they on MySpace? and how about the girls i knew at my montessori school in Manhattan or at the commune we lived in for 2 years? the possibilities are overwhelming...

i never went to my high school reunion but wanted to in a way. i wanted to see what people look like now and what their lives are like. catch up with them without having to wear a name tag, make inane small talk and dance to shitty music. i guess MySpace is like a high school reunion of sorts. only you can find almost everyone you ever knew.

i am still trying to figure out MySpace ettiquette (which i am sure is far more complicated than i could ever hope to understand fully - much like meat space ettiquette no doubt which i am also clueless about). but i have been having a good time so far. even if it has taken over my life momentarily...