Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Jerks and Deadbeats


Have you seen The Jerk? It is my dad's favorite Steve Martin movie and it is worth a rental.

I mean, who in their right mind proclaims themselves a JERK? Right? It is like waltzing around calling yourself a DEADBEAT or something. I guess misery loves company!

Here is proof that you need to go rent The Jerk TONIGHT:

[first lines of film]
Navin R. Johnson
: Huh? I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.
Navin R. Johnson: Now be totally honest. You do have a boyfriend don't you.
Marie: Kind of.
Navin R. Johnson
: I know this is our first date but do you think the next time you make love to your boyfriend you could think of me?
Marie
: Well I haven't made love to him yet.
Navin R. Johnson: That's too bad. Do you think its possible that someday you could make love with me and think of him?
Marie
: Who knows maybe you and he could make love and you could think of me.
Navin R. Johnson
: I'd be happy to be in there somewhere.

Awww...what a JERK!!

7 comments:

Ziz said...

the best steve martin movie :) I got obsessed with it when I was a tween and watched it far too much.

the le duo said...

These cans! He HATES these cans!!

Swanton Vt.'s own M. Emmit Walsh is the guy that keeps trying to kill Navin! He has a summer home on Hog Island.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Sniper (M. Emmit Walsh): Die, you random son of a bitch.

i need to rent this movie now that i am officially unemployed (as of 5pm today that is). as the years go by, i can relate more and more to THE JERK. is this a bad thing??

Marie: I don't care about losing all the money. It's losing all the stuff.

Anonymous said...

The Jerk is one of the best films of all time!

Have you read Cruel Shoes? It's the best Steve Martin book.

Congratulations on your unemployment AKA freedom and poverty. I know there's a quote from Holiday that is relevant, but I can't find it online. A question Johnny asks about the point of work. Why waste your youth on work, saving up money for old age, when you won't be able to enjoy it?

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Agreed! I think I need to do a double feature of The Jerk and Holiday. Might get me in the proper unemployed loser, jerky deadbeat spirit!

Have you seen All of Me? Another good Martin film with the addition of the lovely Lily Tomlin. And now I have time to read books! Will check out Steve's. Man, i love that guy.

Also, have you seen My Man Godfrey? It stars the Steve Martin of the 30s, William Powell, and it's a good screwball comedy about life and love and working.

It feels sooo good to embrace my inner loser. Sitting here in my bathrobe, answering emails, surfing the internet, IMing, sipping tea, munching toast and petting cats - does it get any better?

If I was at work right now, i would have already returned 20 phone calls, 20 emails, filed many papers, had many important conversations and deposited much money by now - it feels good to accomplish so little in a morning!

PS and i already started getting telemarketer phone calls! YES!! this is the life!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't get any better. Especially when you add cats.
Which makes me miss mine. All alone while I'm at work.
I love My Man Godfrey-both versions. I wrote a response to your comment about it a few days ago but it got lost.
Did you see that they're re-making The Women? With Meg Ryan. Come on. I love Inner Space, but I don't think Meg's really ready for The Women.
Hvae you seen Ball of Fire with Barbara Stanwyck? If not, please rent it.
I've been thinking about Making Mr. Right a lot lately. I'm starting to have that winter launch-me-into-outer-space feeling (even though it hasn't been much of a winter).
Oops-too much time on blogs-back to work.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Yes, furry catballs are sent straight from heaven. a purring furball on one's lap makes sitting at the computer so much better.

there are 2 versions of My Man Godfrey?? Oooh, a new The Woman?! With Meg? Poor ol'trout-lips, I feel bad her career has gone so downhill.

And have not heard of Ball of Fire. Must start making a list of good movies to watch with all my deadbeat free time. Have you ever seen Me Without You? It is also on my list to rewatch. A movie with lots of great 80s music and about two girls friendship evolving over time - also has HOT Oliver Milburn for eye candy!

I love love love Making Mr Right. that movie is such a damn fine undiscovered gem. But with gray days like these - who needs outer space? feel like i am floating in it already! now where is my hot robot version of John Malkovic!??!