Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Lovers of Pussy


In perfect keeping with my recent spurt of movies about crazy, intellectual, hermit artists, Scott was kind enough to introduce me to Louis Wain who I am shocked to say I knew nothing about?!

Louis had a bunch of spinster sisters who never left mommy's home (Grey Gardens anyone?). He eventually married his sister's governess who was 10 yrs his senior and promptly dropped dead of cancer 3 years later. Ffffft!

Then he went loco and got locked up and drew a bunch of psychedelic kitty paintings! In many of his portraits the kitties are being human which I have a special penchant for (and Sachie recently blogged about).

Here is a gem from an interview with Louis talking about his wife's cat Peter and the joys of pussy loving:

Then I trained Peter like a child, and he became my principal model, and the pioneer of my success. He has helped to wipe out, once and for all, the contempt in which the cat has been held in this country, and raised its status from the questionable care and affection of the old maid to a real and permanent place in the home.

I have myself found, as the result of many years of inquiry and study, that all people who keep cats, and are in the habit of nursing them, do not suffer from those petty little ailments which all flesh is heir to, viz., nervous complaints of a minor sort.

Hysteria and rheumatism, too, are unknown, and all lovers of 'pussy' are of the sweetest temperament. When a student at home, I have often myself felt the benefit, after a long spell of mental effort, of my cats sitting across my shoulders, or of half-an-hour's chat with my pet, Peter.'

Crazy cat artists, gotta love em!

3 comments:

Salty Miss Jill said...

And now you have enlightened me. :)
I am never living without cats again, for as long as I can help it. :)

Unknown said...

OMG!! Eva I have no idea about this artist!!! i lov his art it is sooo wondeful! Thanks EVA you always teach me new things!! I love his interview and what he said about his cats!! I totally agree!! Kitty Rock!!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

YES! This dude is weird and cool. Too bad about the going crazee part. Poor crazy artists. ;(

I also think it is interesting that cats used to be considered companions for spinsters! No wonder I love the little beasties!