Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hackie is Stuck in Vermont

Finally, another installment of my new vlog, Stuck in Vermont. Two weekends ago I spent a morning chatting with local author, cab driver, comedian and philosopher Jernigan Pontiac.

In addition to being highly entertained by his droll humor and getting a great tour of the area from a cab's-eye-view, I had an excellent time talking to Jernigan about life, art and people. It is not often that you find such a genuine, interesting, thoughtful soul and even rarer still when you get to have an on-camera chat with them.

It killed me to whittle my hour of footage down to 4 minutes (literally, it killed me, I am still in mourning) but at long last, here is the final bite-sized product, Stuck in Vermont, Episode 2, The Hackie.

I may have to follow this vlog up with Jernigan's tour of the area not to mention more Jernigan gems about writing and life and massive amounts of silliness. Seriously, this guy needs his own TV show. So beware another Hackie Episode 2.1 or some such thing.

The most awesome music is by C-Funk also known as Adam Cooper Wood and Chris Cheney. Remember to read the bi-weekly Hackie column in Seven Days and to buy the Hackie books here! Spread the word folks, a little dose of Hackie each day keeps the winter doldrums at bay!

5 comments:

Suzanne Lowell said...

jernigan is funny! so did you call him for a cab ride and then whip out the camera? or did you contact him before hand? i think you should tell everyone that you've been hailing cabs for months hoping that one day jernigan would finally pick you up...

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Funny you should ask that Suzanne, as a matter a fact, that is precisely what happened ! I have been taking cabs almost daily just hoping that one of these days I would find the elusive Jernigan Pontiac!

The only problem was that I didn't know what he looked like so each time I took a cab ride, I had to make up these elaborate characters and do insane things to see if I would make it into the Hackie column.

Needless to say, it finally worked and I found Jernigan! In case you are interested, the story I am in is the one about the tamborine playing belly dancer wraped in paper towels and talking gibberish. THAT IS ME! ;)

PS Jernigan is a HOOT! It killed me to cut this down to 4 minutes because the footage is ALL so darn good...and funny too!

Tanner M. said...

i'm not always a fan of his articles - but i really enjoyed his interview; seems like a guy that'd be nice to have a beer with and discuss the human condition. Great job Eva ;D

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Thanks Tanner. Jernigan is an amazing guy and a pleasure to talk to. Keep on eye on your cabbies as you may just be lucky enough to meet him one of these days...

Suzanne Lowell said...

i met him i met him! now i remember. i was rather drunk, but he was so kind and sweet and i guess he liked us because he gave us his card and told us his real name! don't worry jernigan. i won't reveal your secrets!