Monday, February 05, 2007

Stuck in VT Vlog

For a long time now, I have wanted to do a video blog about local artists, musicians, outsiders and fellow deadbeats - people doing their own thing, events around town, all the characters that make Vermont great.

Below is my first try at this vlog which is called "Stuck in Vermont" and features a fabulous Smittens song in the intro. Episode 1 details an evening at the Helen Day Art Center in Stowe for the opening of their current art exhibit, "Fine Toons: The Art of Vermont Cartoonists."

The vlog features some of the show's art, a chat with indie comics superstar James Kochalka, music by James Kochalka Superstar and an important lesson in "EEP."



It is always hard to do the first one of anything, especially when you are so worried about it sucking. So it took a week to come up with this format which I am sure will change a ton and hopefully improve over time. Feedback is always welcome.

The next episode is an interview with writer Jernigan Pontiac which took place driving around in his cab. This guy has charisma to spare and it is going to be next to impossible to cut my hour of footage into under 4 minutes so this one might have to be serialized.

I am so, so excited 'cause I have about a zillion ideas for people, groups and events I would like to feature. If you have any ideas, please send them my way and thanks!

Stuck in Vermont Blog

Stuck in Vermont on YouTube

100% Homegrown Vermont vlog about art, music, obsessions and outsiders.

We are stuck here like glue, wouldn't you like to be too?

6 comments:

tinycat said...

I still advocate for beekeepers. (Plus, Sky now has nine chickens in the backyard--his new tenants'.)

And you must, must, must do one on the Burlington summertime Church Street crazies. (ie: bird-bike man, the guy in the kilt with the sword, the guy who shouts at people--I know, which one?--all of them!)

Eva the Deadbeat said...

wha...? chickens? yes, that is definitely vlog worthy! the bee/chicken keeper!

eek, you are gonna have to be our Church St summer crazy person special correspondent 'cause i don't know where to start?!

can it be summer tomorrow...??? god i am jonseing for sun.

Suzanne Lowell said...

i love stuck in vermont! so many options and people to interview! nice work!

tinycat said...

I was amusing myself with mock gang-rival slogans for the apiary vs. chicken coop all night, a la:

[bees:]
"go home, peckerheads"
"fox bait!"
"quit just laying around"
"you're nothing until you get a cock"

[chickens:]
"mind your own beeswax"
"buzz off, you yellow-bellied, pansy-loving pests"

[sky's backyard:]
"home of the birds and the bees"


However, I think I did pester him into agreeing to let me get a duckling!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

OK, i think the vlog needs to be about YOU and yor amazing wielding of wordsmithery! is that a word?

how about it we make a mock West Side story vlog and the bees and the chickens can really have an all out gang war!? we can do the voices/cat calls. i dig it!? when do we shoot it?! oh, and your duckling can be the helpless little innocent caught in the middle - but who will be her one true love!?!?!

When you're a Bee,
You're a Bee
all the way
From your first honeycomb
To your last
dyin' day.

When you're a Bee,
If the regurgitated
spit hits the fan,
You got brothers around,
You're a family man!

You're never alone,

You're never stingerless!
You're home
with your own:
When company's expected,
You're well protected!

Then you are set
With a capital B,
Which you'll never forget
Till they cart you away.
When you're a Bee
you stay a Beeeeeeeeeee!

xo from a yellow-bellied, pansy-loving pest

tinycat said...

You and I even think alike. Were we separated at birth? I didn't read your response until just now, but last night proposed a West Side Story theme on your Friendster page.

Wordsmithing is boring. It's all in my head and I'd freeze on camera. But I'm happy to continue being punny off-camera for you.