Friday, February 09, 2007

Geek IS Chic

What are you? A geek, nerd or dork? And even more importantly, what are your precise geek/nerd/dork percentages (since we are all geeks here and require mathmatical equations to sleep at night)? You can find out here (thanks for the heads up Ed, AKA Outcast Genius).

This test reminds me of those gazillion of placement tests we took at Johnson Elementary School to place us rural kids within the national average. As with this test, I was always in the 99% percentile - thus adding to my still-swollen head no doubt. Below is my Geek Test Score, I always suspected I was more geek than nerd/dork:

Modern, Cool Nerd
56 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 39% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Sadly, it is not always easy to be a geek, read this to learn the dangers of being a Perl developer/fuckhead/geek.

PS Did anyone see Urkel's bit part in Dreamgirls? I was so proud that I gave a big geeky guffaw in his honor!

11 comments:

S.R. Wild said...

Pure Geek
43 % Nerd, 56% Geek, 30% Dork

It’s not that you’re a school junkie, like the nerd, and you don’t really stand out in a crowd, like the dork, you just have some interests that aren’t quite mainstream. Perhaps it’s anime, perhaps it’s computers, perhaps it’s bottlecaps, perhaps it’s all of those and more. Your interests take you to events and gatherings that are filled with people you find unusual and beyond-the-pale, but you don’t quite consider yourself “of that crowd.” Instead, you consider yourself to be fairly normal. Which, you are.

That sounds about right. Now I’m going to find out which level of hell I’ll be banished to.

Tanner M. said...

Modern, Cool Nerd
56 % Nerd, 73% Geek, 21% Dork

i totally knew it.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

glad to see that I out-dorked you all. my inner-Urkel snorts contemptuously - snorkle, snorkle!

Anonymous said...

The test called me normal(?!) Them's fight'n words!

Joe Normal
47 % Nerd, 39% Geek, 21% Dork

How depressing! I feel like contemptuously snorting at myself!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Normal? How insulting to all of Nerdom. I out-dorked you too! I am Queen of the Dorks at 39%! I am so, snort, impressed with myself! Time to go do my Napoleon Dynamite dance! hyack!

Anonymous said...

Pure Nerd
91 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 43% Dork .

I suspected, but I never knew for sure. And I'm not nearly as geeky as I thought I was.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

OH NO! You out-dorked me by a measly 4%! Ah well, I concede but retain my kick ass Napoleon's Dorky Dance Moves for future usage. pguon!

Suzanne Lowell said...

like, get over yourselves losers and go sit at the loser table. i'm 100% popular!

just kidding (Pure Nerd
56 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 34% Dork)

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Sorry Ms Popular N Pure but the geeks are taking over the earth! Mohaw hawahwahwhw!

Besides, who wants to sit at the Popular Table anyhow (pick me, pick me, please!)? As if! ;)

Anonymous said...

Because I'm a nerd, I'm trying to recall what question would've led me to out-dorking you by 4%. Was it the asthma? In anycase, you're more than double the geek I am--which sounds cooler. Don't geeks have more fun?

Eva the Deadbeat said...

hee hee, oh, we geeks do have good times but so do you nerds! I am quite impressed by your Nerd Purity, that means you is super smart!

the nerd in me is quite curious as to how these precise percentages were arrived at. but the geek in me says, "oh well, i better go edit like the obsessive compulsive OCDer I am." ;)

PS Can i be a proper geek if I only learned what emoticons were last year? not sure...