Tuesday, February 13, 2007

YouTube Milestone

Another big number for a small fish like me in the massive, nebulous, swirling universe of YouTube. Yesterday I hit a total of 400,000 views. This number is really a drop in the YouTube bucket when you consider that a 10 second cell phone video of a cat mewing pitiously is likely to exceed my entire number of views - but to me, this is a big deal.

I've been posting videos for about 11 months now and I have to give credit to Tanner for giving me the heads up that YouTube (and Blogspot) even existed ("Why yes, I DO live under a rock, thanks for asking!"). In the beginning, I posted videos fast and furious, excited to see the hits rack up in a minute. Who were these strangers watching my video of Pin Thin celebrity paperdolls having a high pitched cat fight? Who were they and where were they?

I realized quickly that the celeb vids were sure fire ways to get views but later decided all the haters and their gushing rivers of vitriolic acid were not worth the views. I don't post many celeb vids anymore, in fact, I don't feel the urge to make many celeb vids these days either.

Not many people watch my current meager offerings, the Stuck in Vermont vlog about local artists and The Deadbeat Club vlog about whatever cultural/personal events I care to record. But it isn't so much the numbers as the quality of the people watching. I have made friends in England, Croatia, Australia, Japan, New York, Nashville and Austin. I've reconnected with people from my past and learned a ton about editing and making videos.

You never know what you will find when you try something new. But often this is what makes life so damn entertaining. Who knows what is around my YouTube corner or how long my channel will exist, but for now I am gonna take a moment to be thankful that I stumbled upon this little piece of internet paradise. And to celebrate, "Oh Bondage, Up Yours!"

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your milestone and thanks for the X-ray Spex. Poly is one of my favorite punks.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Poly is zee coolest. not sure why, but I felt in the mood to play that vid over and ever again last night. i love the lyrics too:

Bind me tie me
Chain me to the wall I wanna be a slave
To you all

Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more
Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more

Chain-store chain-smoke
I consume you all
Chain-gang chain-mail
I don't think at all

Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more
Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more

Thrash me crash me
Beat me till I fall
I wanna be a victim
For you all

Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more
Oh bondage up yours
Oh bondage no more

Suzanne Lowell said...

when & where was that fabulous marilyn monroe eva picture taken? sexy cleavage! va-va-va-voom!

nate said...

Stuck in Vermont series is great. It's good to see Eva outside of Chit county. Hey, how about visiting Langdon St Cafe?

Eva the Deadbeat said...

hee hee, my meager bosoms thank you Miss Monroe - they entailed much tape, adhesive fixative and magic dust to create!

that pic is from my first feature film, aptly entitled "Tits and Asphalt" - a road trip movie mind you. i turned into Marilyn and my road trip buddy turned into Katherine Hepburn.

needless to say, we did not get on well, thus the plot of the film. i should put the trailer on YT.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Thanks Nate! YES YES! Would love to visit Langdon St Cafe (I am ashamed to admit I have never been there - egads!)! Got any good gigs coming up there? Also would love to feature the Savoy - I dig it that they play 6000 foot reels there - and how cool is it that there is an indie video rental place downstairs?!

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Kudos on passing a milestone. I've enjoyed catching the continuum of videos.

That's a great glam shot at the top of the post, sort of reminds me of Isabella Rossellini's portrayal of the beer baroness in Guy Madden's "The Saddest Music in the World."

Annelies A.A. Vanbelle said...

Nice picture, nice blog!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

oooh, thanks Junk Thief and mme sensotheque. right back atcha both!

I do adore Isabella - I think Blue Velvet changed my life...for the better...hmmm, i wonder...?