Monday, April 16, 2007

April's Winter Weekend

These days, if it isn't snowing, it is raining and if it is neither raining nor snowing, it is dismal and gray. Is this April? Right now in California, the yards are blooming with flowers and color, the air is fragrant and breezy, the sky is blue and the sun is beating down...sigh, I need a vacation (preferably one which involves non-snow-covered deck chairs).


Still, since I am not allowed out of town until June, there are some good times to be had in this chilly, gray, slush-coated land. Sadly, most of the goings on I am not allowed to mention.

Suffice to say, they involve glamorous costumes, lots of flesh, sequins, fringe, flashbacks to the 30s, juggling, singing, dancing, and sassy theater all coated with an air of bohemian je n'est sais quoi....say no more! No really, shut up Eva (no small task mind you...)!

On a less secretive note, I got to see Lyric's awesome production of Guys and Dolls Friday night with Fancy Dancy and ate at American Flatbread TWICE (hot fudge brownie sundae, pinot noir, fresh mozzarella/basil/tomato pizza...mmm).

Plus, both my mom and sister and friend Travis ALL had b'days this weekend! Happy birthday guys! Glug, glug. And what did I get my 73 year old mom? A purple bathing suit from American Apparel which she then returned for another suit, that just cracks me up somehow. Sounds like an SNL skit.

Oh, and there was that charming 3-way IM Friday between Travis in California and Parisa in NYC - so naughty! Days ago, Travis was jogging in the hills of San Rafael. No fair!

When I projected at the Rafael Film Center in San Rafael, I would marvel at its delicious climate which was never too hot and never too chilly but JUST RIGHT - all year round. San Rafael is perfectly placed inland with warm breezes, hot summer nights, farmers markets, indie films, a quaint downtown and the feeling of La La Land. No wonder Sean Penn lives there. Sigh...

Now if only the Vermont weather would realize that IT IS APRIL and it is time to cheer up, just a little bit, please! Weather like this makes me want to curl up with a good book and not leave the house all day, slowly work my way through my movie collection starting with the tropical Romancing the Stone...sigh...

6 comments:

Suzanne Lowell said...

saturdays spent with you and a movie and banana mango muffins and an endless hot pot of tea are wonderful, but come on April, really! Shape up or ship out!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Agreed! really April, you are acting so childish! ;)

That was a high point of my weekend actually, hot muffins, cheesy movie and time to chill with Suzanne!

The low point was definitely doing my taxes which I put off all weekend until late Sunday night. What an awful chore...ugh. hateful being a grown up at times...taxes and slush in April - ugh, ugh, double ugh....

i want more muffins....

Steven Hazen Williams said...

great pics... spring has to come soon... right?

Eva the Deadbeat said...

what is this "spring" thing that you mention? i know not what it is as all i know is slush-covered roads, wet basements and goopy shoes.

i realized today that i ate pizza for 5 of my meals this weekend, does that mean i am going to turn into a big pizza pie??

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

It's good to have a Vermont perspective on northern California's "winter." Having spent winters in New York, the Midwest and (most dramatically) Montreal and Toronto, I have a sense of what a real winter is.

So it's so funny to hear people complain about how cold it gets, how we're having the most frigid winter they have ever seen. Ski parkas on the Bay. Give me a break.

But then, again, I've been giving serious thought to relocating in Barcelona.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Barcelona, can I come visit??! I have spent half of my life as an East Coaster and half as a West Coaster and I think the West Coast climate agrees with me more. But when it comes down to it, give me Italy anyday! I looong to sit on a beach and soak up some rays - and drink some peach juice and eat fresh olives and mozzarella...

Isn't the climate iN San Rafael always perfect? SF can be a bit hit or miss and changes drastically on an hourly basis what with the fog and what have you (love it when it rolls in so ominously). But San Rafael, what a dreamy land...