Friday, April 13, 2007

Ides of April


What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
Kurt Vonnegut


Today is Friday the 13th, also known as the Ides of April to the hordes of toga-wearing Vermont high school students that filled Patrick Gym to celebrate Latin Day in style.

I won't say much here as I am vlogging Latin Day next week but the students energy and excitement got me all riled up and now I have to blow off some blogger steam as a result.


Latin greetings and responses during the opening ceremonies are as follows:

Magister: Salvete sodales omnes!

Omnes: Salve, magister!

I highly doubt that the Greeks and the Romans had snowfalls on the Ides of April but I guess that is what makes us so unique. Will spring ever come to Vermont? One wonders.

Spending a morning/afternoon in a gym packed full of obsessed and costumed people is such a treat for me. And Latin Day is one of those events that I would have nothing to do with, would not even know about, if it wasn't for my Stuck in Vermont vlog.

Today I interviewed a student who wore his toga with a confident ease and resembled Caesar when he looked out at the crowd and said, "These are my people. I feel at home here."

That is how I feel about the Stuck in Vermont vlog. It is like finding "my people." As fast as life goes these days, I am so lucky to be able to take a moment to see into people's lives and obsessions...I think Kurt would understand what the hell I am so clumsily trying to say...

Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information.
Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: