Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Mysterious Sliver


A couple of nights ago, I went to bed with no known slivers in my body. The next morning, there was a painful ache coming from my foot. Somehow, while I was sleeping, a sliver had managed to lodge itself in the ball of my foot. I wiggled the sliver out but a deep hole remained and it ached all day long. Could I have gotten a sliver somewhere in dreamland, I wondered? Did I accidentally spirit myself off to Narnia and that little piece of wood was my only proof?

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night coated in sweat. I had been dreaming that I was late for my flight. The plane was leaving at 5 minutes to the hour and that was exactly what time it was as I parked my car and ran up to security. The plane was delayed so I made a large fuss so that I could rush through to my gate. But the many bags I was bringing still remained in my car and I begged the stewardess to help me go get them. When I woke up, I still felt desperate and late. I am sure the symbolic meanings of this dream are plentiful, or it could just be that I am late all the time.

It seems like all I ever do is run up one path to another. I never really plan things out very well. I follow my nose, hoping my instinct will steer me wisely. But what do you do when all the possible paths ahead seem stale and uninteresting? Is it possible to sprout wings and fly upward into the sky, escaping all the well worn paths entirely?

Or does this sort of escape mean becoming a dangerous hermit like the Unibomber? I sometimes worry that I will turn into the Unibomber someday - separate and dedicated to some crazy project or other. Molly once told me that I was like the eccentric and crazy lady in Gray Gardens - this both frightened me and pissed me off. Why is everyone always telling me how "weird," "crazy" and "strange" I am (for instance, a work colleague telling me I looked like a space creature the other week)? And even more importantly, why the hell do I care?

I was going to post about the complicated You Tube hierarchies and write a breakdown of its most famous members but Firefox froze and I lost my post - bloody hell!! I will just say this, I have been addicted to You Tube for a while now (me and the rest of America). I have been interested to see which of its stars will actually break into the entertainment business (the biz everybody who is anybody wants to be in these days).

The shelf life for reality TV stars proved to be pretty brief and negligible so it is with baited breath that I wait to see if any of these little oddballs eke out a living from this internet snowball. 20 yr old Brookers just got signed with Carson Daly and written up in Wikipedia (link) and 18 yr old Emmalina just got a snarky write up in the Washington Post (link). Who will be next to ride the You Tube inner tube to fame and fortune?

And more importantly, another You Tube gem, sweet, dear, doomed Elliott Smith stands off against chirpy, upbeat and bland Carson Daly (link). Sigh, we miss you Elliott. I'll meet up with you one day in la la land.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you dont mean you're LATE late, right?

Suzanne Lowell said...

well, i had a dream that your next video project was amazing, so that balances the lateness out... maybe... though it is 10:05 and you're not at work yet...

Eva the Deadbeat said...

heehee, i got here by noon though! seriously folks, no little Tanner babies on the way, just some run of the mill stress dreams to keep me sweating buckets...