Monday, May 01, 2006

Monkeys at the Bar




Friday night and I actually left my house for once!? Took a wee break from editing the new Deadbeat Club (behind, as usual) and headed over to the Monkey Bar to hear Kyle's band play. As I drove the 10 minutes from my house to Winooski, found parking with total ease and walked the 5 minutes it took to get to the bar, I thought to myself, "Hot damn, life sure is easier here than it was in California!"

Here is what a typical night out in Oakland would have entailed:

  • drive 30 minutes over a packed Bay Bridge - oh yes, rush hour traffic is not restricted to just "rush hour," a Friday night on the bridge is sheer madness
  • pay the $3 bridge toll
  • spend 20 minutes looking for parking
  • park miles away from the show and have to walk through scary neighborhoods clutching my purse
  • pay $12 cover at the show
  • have difficulty finding my friends through the people crunch
  • pay $5 for a beer, $6 with tip
  • narrowly avoid getting in a bar brawl
  • barely able to see the band over people's heads
  • walk many miles back to car, see some lovely drug deals and ladies making a living along the way
  • and to top it all off, it is 3am and they have closed down all of the lanes of traffic on the Bay Bridge but ONE in order to do the retrofitting....traffic moves at a snail's pace...damn, damn, damn, dum dee dum...
  • one hour later, I hit the sack

This is not to say I do not love California but evenings like those get a little tiring after a while. Gotta love the Monkey Bar and hanging with Abbie, JB and the Tan Man and getting to meet Tanner's sister for the first time because she randomly happened to show up. Pretty damn cool Winooski. Pretty cool.

7 comments:

Tanner M. said...

That was a fun night; we don't get to have drinks enough babe...the cutest thing was getting back home and putting on "the young ones" and listening to you laugh hysterically and repeat everything in your sexy cockney accent.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

so damn true babe (the part about the drinking)...i need to clear my schedule for MORE drinking time and MORE time for the Young Ones! i had a great time with you and your sister and thanks for the homemade pizza and the Young Ones walk down memory lane! i am still snorting...and remember, when things go wrong, try this new cuss out, "FLOPPY DISCS!"

the le duo said...

Eva- you'll have to drinky drink drink it up friday may 12th for the Nest Material show!!! Maybe Tara and Sara will randomly show up for that one too. And maybe the hot ladies will pay attention to drum-god JB instead of bass-bozo Kyle ;)

JB

Eva the Deadbeat said...

hell yeah! the ladies WILL fawn all over the drum god JB if they know what is best for them (after all, nobody loves the bass player, you dig? ancient KITH skit)! me and the girls already made drinking plans for the 12th at the speilpalast cabaret with the nudie ladies but maybe we can catch some nest material after that? where it at? hope the sara and tara duo show again, that was random and fun...

the le duo said...

these are the Daves I know I know these are the Daves I know

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Some of them are Davids
[Dave Gort: But most of us are Daves]
They all have their own hands
But they come from different moms....
the terrier song really kills me though:
[sung by Bruce]
Terriers are my very favourite breed
They're cute and cuddly and easy dogs to feed
They'll bring you up whenever you are down
Terriers average 20 pounds
When I walk around in this terrier town
One thing that makes me down
Is when people put bandanas on their dogs

the le duo said...

riding on a freight train chewing on a jelly roll