Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Featured on YouTube, Oh Joy, Not

Rome’s working class, the plebeians had little individual power.
Grouped together, however, they became a Roman mob and had to be handled carefully.

I never thought I would make it onto the YouTube homepage, never ever in one million years.

So when I logged onto my computer Sunday morning and my In box was packed full of messages from YouTube, I figured it was another channel page feature. I had to blink repeatedly when I clicked to the homepage and there we were.

Holy crap.

All day cabaret rehearsal and Stuck in Vermont 75: Jr Iron Chef views went from 374 to 130,000. Currently they are at 180,000 and our rating is 3.5 stars.

Many of the 300+ comments are vicious. Debating how gay VT is or isn't and how much VT sucks or does not suck. Pointing out how hideously unattractive I am with my googly eyes, greasy skin, bad table manners, annoying delivery...etc.

Molly did a nice recap of some of the more interesting comments. I have only waded through the comments a couple of times. It's rather painful.

Not all the featured videos get knocked so hard. The recently featured video of a cat playing with a theremin already has 800,000 hits, 4.5 stars and 3000 adoring comments along the lines of, "Awww, cute!" I can't compete with a cute kitty and the mob knows it.

Times like these make me glad I grew up without the internet. I can't imagine how I would have dealt with this sort of surreal ego-beating when I was an awkward teen. Thank goodness I am now an awkward middle-aged VTer where greasy skin is not a sin.

7 comments:

Suzanne Lowell said...

congrats! those comments are funny. they make me lmao and rotfl.

Miss Molly Manglewood said...

Eva, I made another post today to show that it's NOT just you!

Unknown said...

I am so so so proud of you!! You is supastah!!

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Oh Molly, your posts made me feel much better. and now that the video is no longer on the YT homepage I can breath easier.

thanks guys.

xox the greasy girl

Zack said...

I saw that Eva!! you should be happyyy. Besides, the hotter the youtube babe, the more people feel a need to take them down a notch.

Eva the Deadbeat said...

Oh Zack, you are my most favoritest YouTuber Superstah ever. And your lies are particularly lovely which is why I adore you. xoxoox

Unknown said...

Eva,

Take solace in the fact that the jerks that posted smack about you have channels that expose them for the absolute no talent jackasses they really are.

Congrats on the feature tho. brilliant work, as always.