Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Anne + Veronica = Trebled Intensity and Hot, Rippling Heaven


"Excitement hung around Anne like a garment, shone in her eyes, kindled in every feature. She had come dancing up the lane like a wind-blown sprite, through the mellow sunshine and lazy shadows of an August evening.
...

For Anne to take things calmly would have been to change her nature. All "spirit and fire and dew," as she was, the pleasures and pains of life came to her with trebled intensity. Marilla felt this and was vaguely troubled over it, realizing that the ups and downs of existence would probably bear hardly on this impulsive soul and not sufficiently understanding that the equally great capacity for delight might more than compensate.


Therefore Marilla conceived it to be her duty to drill Anne into a tranquil uniformity of disposition as impossible and alien to her as to a dancing sunbeam in one of the brook shallows. She did not make much headway, as she sorrowfully admitted to herself. The downfall of some dear hope or plan plunged Anne into "deeps of affliction." The fulfillment thereof exalted her to dizzy realms of delight. Marilla had almost begun to despair of ever fashioning this waif of the world into her model little girl of demure manners and prim deportment. Neither would she have believed that she really liked Anne much better as she was." - Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

* * *

"My forehead breaks into a sweat. I unfasten a button and loosen my scarf. The air cools my skin; the fever recoils, then sends hot tadpoles wiggling against the cold. Drive the animal before you and never stop. Starve it, cut it, stuff silicone in it. Feed it until it's too fat to think or feel. Then cut it open and suck the fat out. Sew it up and give it medication for pain. Make it run on the treadmill, faster, faster. Examine it for flaws. Not just the body, but the mind too. Keep going over the symptoms. It's not a character defect; it's an illness. Give it medication for pain. Dazzle its eyes with visions of beauty. Dazzle its ears with music that never stops playing. Send it to graze in vast aisles of food so huge and flawless that it seems to be straining to become more than food. Dazzle its mind with visions of terror. Send it chasing a hot, rippling heaven from which illness and pain have been removed forever. Set it fleeing the silent darkness that is always at its heels. Suck it out. Sew it up. Run. When the dark comes, pray: I love my ass." - Veronica, Mary Gaitskill

* * *

"'Some people are naturally good, you know, and others are not. I'm one of the others, Mrs Lynde says I'm full of original sin. No matter how hard I try to be good I can never make such a success of it as those who are naturally good. It's a good deal like geometry I suspect. But don't you think that trying so hard ought to count for something?'" Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

* * *

"Sometimes I saw the goodwill and the deep things and longed to know them. Sometimes I saw the bony jaw and the thrusting calves and turned up my nose. Because I could never fully have either feeling, I stayed detached. It was as if I were seventeen again and longing to live inside a world of music - a world that was sad at being turned into a machine, but ecstatic, too, singing on the surface of its human heart as the machine spread through its tissues and silenced the flow of its blood. In this world, there were no deep things, no vulgar goodwill, only rigorous form and beauty and even songs about mass death could be sung on the light and playful surface of the heart." - Veronica, Mary Gaitskill

* * *

"'Oh Marilla, there is something in me today that makes me just love everybody I see.' she exclaimed as she washed the breakfast dishes. 'You don't know how good I feel! Wouldn't it be nice if it could last?'" Anne of Green Gables, L.M. Montgomery

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the Schiele but I find it hard to read. You look rather cool though. Do you still draw comics?

Tanner M. said...

i've seen her draw a few comics now and again...

like the veronica quote Eva

Eva the Deadbeat said...

yeah, Veronica is a really good book, raw and dark and brooding, perfect for Fall weather. Mary Gaitskill writes beautifully and poetically about the modern condition in all its tainted glory. well worth a read!

Anonymous said...

That Gaitskill quote about what we do to our minds and bodies is awesome. I wish I had written it.