Monday, June 02, 2008

Creepy Crawly

Crawford found a house centipede wandering around my bedroom so I caught him and relocated him outdoors. But first I made a video (below).

Turns out they are great housemates who live for years and eat up bugs. Had I known this sooner, I probably would have a new pet right now:

In captivity, house centipedes feed readily on cockroach nymphs, flies, moths, bedbugs, crickets, silverfish, earwigs, and other insects and small spiders. They capture prey by half pouncing and half lassoing them. They can capture several prey items at one time. They feed on one specimen while holding the others with their quivering, lashing appendages (Lewis 1981).



You know what is super nice? Sleeping in, drinking tea and reading the Sunday New York Times. Close to heaven in my book.

2 comments:

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

I like that image of Mr. (or Ms.?) centipede in that DVD case. Who knew they could serve such a purpose. It inspires me to start a new site called Centipede Video.

Anonymous said...

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Eeeek! Eeeek! Alarm! Alarm!

I can't deal with those lil critters. I have them ALL. THE. TIME.

*shiver*